Complete electric cooker installation service for Cardiff and CF71

I offer the complete electric cooker installation service for Cardiff and surrounding areas. So if the retailer won’t install your new oven because the isolator is too close to the hob, you don’t have the circuit for an induction hob or you have a problem with your existing electric cooker installation; I’m the electrician in Cardiff that will get you up and running in a jiffy.

How to get your electric cooker installation off to a flying start

1. Read online reviews to see what previous buyers think about the hob, double oven or microwave you are planning to buy before making the purchase. Electrical retailers like, Curry’s and John Lewis sell and deliver quality cookers, sometimes the following day.

2. Check the dimensions of your cooking area. Most integrated and free-standing ovens are 600mm wide, although they do come in smaller sizes of 500mm.

3. Do you already have a cooker installed? Go to your fuse board or consumer unit and look for circuit protection labelled as “Cooker” or “Oven”. A standard cooker circuit will be protected by a 30 or  32-amp device. If this is what you have, that’s good for most double ovens on the market today. If you have a gas hob at the moment, or nothing labelled up to suggest you have the supply, then you can send me a photo of the fuse board so I can take a look free of charge.

4. Do you know where the isolator switch for your cooker is fitted? If it’s not obvious, then it may be on top of the cabinet or inside it. If your existing oven is connected via a plug and you are looking at one that states it needs a fixed connection, then additional work may be necessary.

5. Get in touch with your cooker installation requirements.

How i can help get you cooking

 I will safely disconnect your old electric cooker.
I will inspect and test the connection is suitable for your new cooking appliance.
Connect your new hob, oven or microwave, test it works correctly and issue you with a minor works certificate.

Questions answered about installing electric cookers in Cardiff

Q. The freestanding cooker i am thinking about buying states it must be hard wired. What does this mean?

A. Hard wired means the cooking appliance needs a permanent connection from the cooker to the outlet plate, so basically not a plug-in device (see below)


Q. How do i know if the oven i have at the moment is hard wired?

A. Sometimes single ovens may be connected via a plug or hard wired. The socket outlet or fused connection unit (as in the photo below) is usually in an adjacent cabinet or directly behind. Fused connection units are often used in place of a plug as they are a permanent connection and advisable with cooking appliances of 2KW and over. If the manufacturer hasn’t shipped the device with a plug already on, then it’s safe to say it needs to be hard wired.

Q. I am looking at a hob made by Whirlpool that states a 32 amp supply is required. I have looked in my fuse board and “cooker” is labeled as 30 amp. Is this a problem?

A. Not really. 30 amp overload protection has been replaced by 32 amp on later devices.

Q. I ordered an induction hob from an online supplier only to discover i haven’t got the necessary wiring in place to have it installed. Will this be a lot of work?

A. This really depends on where the kitchen is in relation to the consumer unit and if you would need additional work like main protective bonding and rcd protection.  I would need to call in to take a look to advise on what is required and costs.

If you live in South Glamorgan and need a complete, start to finish electric cooker installation service for your kitchen appliances please get in touch today!


Ouch! There was a server error.
Retry »

Sending message...

Contact me here:

The best way to tell me about your electrical requirements is by completing the form below. Enter your details and i will get back to you the same working day